Maine Coon History
All breeds of cats can be divided into two types: native and man-made. With the second, everything is clear – they were formed by people on the basis of some interesting mutations or by crossing two or more breeds. The result of this work can be unusual cats, such as the sphinx, toyger, Scottish fold and so on. With indigenous people, everything is much more complicated.
At a certain point in the world, a cat population appears. Adapting to local conditions, they change. The most useful traits are fixed, the most powerful and fit individuals survive. As a result, over many generations a new breed of cats is being formed from the population, ideally suited precisely to these living conditions. Darwin’s theory in action.
This happened and Maine Coons. They come from North America, Maine. The climate there is continental: wet summers, snowy frosty winters. The history of the Maine Coon breed began here. It is not surprising that they acquired a thick dense fur coat, a chic tail and a strong muscular body.
Double wool protected them from frost in the winter and rains in the spring and autumn. Long legs allowed walking in the snow, fluffy tail – to sleep in the snow. Hunters need a long mustache to navigate at night. Extraordinary hunting instincts allowed to survive, eating birds and rodents. Their whole appearance is ideal for this area.
For a long time they lived next to people, protecting their supplies from mice and rats. Local farmers praised them for their extraordinary hunting abilities. The decorative qualities of rural residents were of last interest. But over time, it was appearance that became the engine of their popularity in the world.
Maine Coon Origin
How the coons formed is relatively understandable. Similar processes took place with a dozen other indigenous breeds. More interesting is the question of how they got to this state of Maine. At the moment, researchers have no consensus. There are only more or less believable legends.
According to one of them, cats were brought to the continent by a ship that took away the things of Queen Marie Antoinette. According to legend, she wanted to flee to America before execution, equipped the ship with the crew. They had to take her things, including pets – several large long-haired cats. A different fate awaited the Queen, but the ship successfully left the port and even reached its destination. Doubt causes that time factor. The execution of Marie Antoinette took place in 1793. And already in the 60-70s of the next century, Maine Coon participated in international cat shows. Could such a breed independently form in 70-80 years? Hard to tell.
Another legend, less romantic, tells of a certain captain Kun, who often molested these shores. He always carried cats with him, and apparently some of them preferred to live on safe land rather than the shaky deck of the ship.
Another opinion connects Maine Coon with Norwegian forest cats. Fresh historical concepts claim that the Vikings more than once molested the shores of America, long before Columbus was born. It is likely that they took with them to the drakkara cats that so fell into new territory. There are several facts in favor of this version. Norwegian forest cats are large cats of wild color with dense long hair and tassels on the ears. Slightly reminiscent of Maine Coon, isn’t it? In addition, the Vikings made their tours back in the 11th century, which means that cats had quite enough time to form a breed.
Maine Coon Modern History
More or less reliable data appear from the middle of the 19th century. In 1861, an international cat show was held, in which one of the participants introduced a new breed – the giant “raccoon cat from America.” The success was deafening. Large, unperturbed, covered with long and dense hair, they gained popularity overnight.
Interestingly, at first only one color was recognized – black marble. Cats with gray and white stains on a black background – this is exactly what, according to experts, the perfect kun should have looked. But gradually, the standards became softer, and almost all colors and color variations are recognized for this breed.
Unfortunately, over time, they went out of fashion. Persian cats became their competitors – even more furry and exotic. As a result, by the turn of the century, interest in Maine Coons had faded. The purely utilitarian function saved the breed from extinction and degradation. Manx farmers, as before, fought pests, and Maine Coons remained the best weapons.
But by the middle of the twentieth century, the second round of popularity of this breed began. Everything has returned: exhibitions, amateurs, breeders, shows … More than half a century has passed, but Maine Coons are still one of the most popular breeds in the world. In the United States they are in second place, in Europe and other countries – in the top five. And this time, they are not going to give anyone a position.
Maine Coons appeared in Russia relatively recently, in the early 90’s. Then, together with the Iron Curtain, many barriers collapsed, including those that impede the penetration of new breeds from other countries. During these years, dozens of cats unlike each other came to Russia, including Maine Coons. Only two – a cat and a kitty, but they laid the foundation for the popularity of coons in the post-Soviet space. Then more and more new representatives of the breeds began to come to them, and now dozens of nurseries work in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and neighboring states, which release thousands of kittens into the world every year. They receive high awards at international competitions, which confirms the qualifications of domestic breeders. Therefore, now, to buy Maine Coon, it is not necessary to go somewhere: in Russia there are enough qualified breeders.
“How to buy?”
Frequently asked questions from those who want to buy a pet:
1 How is the purchase of a kitten?
2 How is the reserve paid and how much is it?
3 How to buy a kitten if I live in another city?
4 Can I come see the kittens?
5 What are the guarantees that you will not deceive us?
6 What are the guarantees that the kitten will live long?
7 How much does shipping cost?
8 Is the kitten really purebred?
9 Why so expensive?
10 I am against castration, can I buy a non-neutered animal?
11 How to buy a kitten for breeding?
12 How much do kittens cost?
1. The purchase begins with the fact that you have looked after some kitten in the photo and you liked this kitten. You are satisfied with its appearance and cost. Next, you contact the breeder and you are provided with the most interesting information about this pet: photos, videos and a description of his character and all the characteristics regarding the exterior. If the buyer approves his choice, a reserve of 50% of the total price is paid for the kitten. A reservation agreement is being drawn up. From this moment on, the kitten is in reserve and it is no longer offered to other potential buyers, but is waiting for the end of all procedures: a course of vaccination and sterilization (unless otherwise has been discussed). During this period, the breeder sends weekly health reports, as well as photo and video messages. After completion of vaccinations and rehabilitation after castration, the kitten is ready to travel to a new home. At this stage, a contract of sale is concluded and the second part of the amount is paid.
2. The reserve is 50% of the total cost of the purchased pet. It is transferred to the breeder’s card along with the signing of the reserve agreement. After that, the kitten is considered reserved and is waiting for its shipment to new owners (buyers).
3. At the moment, almost all animal sales occur through social networks and the Internet. And often, the breeder and the potential buyer live thousands of miles apart. The buyer chooses a pet according to the photo and video. Communication takes place through messengers. Communication is maintained constantly. The breeder will give a detailed answer to all questions of interest, as well as provide video confirmation of his words. Therefore, buying a kitten, if desired, even if you live in another city is not a problem. And it’s completely real right now.
4. Viewing kittens is not welcome in catteries. Why? – There are several reasons for this:
First, kittens at a young age have not been vaccinated and therefore they are more at risk of catching viruses and getting sick. In small kittens, immunity is not as mature as in adult cats, and diseases can threaten with serious complications and even death of the animal. The breeder does not want to bear such risks and losses for the sake of someone’s spontaneous desires, and often they want to “see” only out of idle curiosity, and not for the sake of buying.
Secondly, the breeder is an ordinary person, with his family and his worries. His cats live in his house. Wishing “and see?” sometimes it’s not enough. It’s not one or two people. Many express a desire to come with their families so that the children can see it too. The breeder has counter questions for all this: Do you want to let completely strangers from the street into your house? Do you trust strangers? Is it always safe? A breeder is a person you don’t know and owe nothing, he lives his own life, with his own problems and deeds. The breeder’s house is not a petting zoo, this is not a place for someone to have fun and satisfy curiosity.
Third, you can’t see all the cats. The cattery has its own rhythm and its own rules, some cats are pregnant, some kittens have just been born, some are in quarantine. Therefore, you can not see all the cats! There is always an opportunity to see how the breed looks “live” – these are cat shows. They are not rare in every city.
It is necessary and important to respect not only your own desires, but also the privacy of other people.
And, despite everything written above… You can come and see a particular kitten! Yes! You can see the kitten you have chosen, which you want and are ready to reserve, or choose between the two most liked, but only if it became clear to both parties that the intentions of acquiring a pet are serious, as well as if the kittens have already been vaccinated, although would be the first vaccination against viral infections. For serious, tactful and well-mannered buyers, the breeder will find both the time and the opportunity to show the contender they are interested in for the purchase.
5. Guarantees in such purchases are the execution of documents (contracts). And also your guarantee will be – correctly chosen nursery. An assessment of a cattery can be done by analyzing information about it in social networks. The presence of the official page (website) is also of great importance, on the cattery’s website, registration documents and other useful information are usually always provided to meet the possible questions of buyers.
6. This question can only be answered with a question: What are the guarantees that you will live long? On average, the life expectancy of the Maine Coon breed is 13-16 years.
Under different conditions of detention, the duration of their life can vary from 8 to 25 years. How long your cat will live depends on various factors and in many ways – on you.
What determines the lifespan of a cat?
Some felinologists consider not genetics to be the decisive factor, but the attitude of a person to his own pet. Caring and competent care improves the quality of life and increases the number of years lived.
7. Delivery. Given that in most cases kittens are bought from other cities, the issue of delivery is always relevant. Naturally, the most reliable way in all respects is to come (fly) for a kitten on your own. But there is not always such an opportunity, and therefore, at present, the service for the delivery of animals is not poorly developed. Breeders do not do this, delivery is often carried out with the help of courier carriers. Couriers dealing with this issue know how best and how to send this or that animal from point A to point B, especially when it comes to far abroad countries and air transportation. T Therefore, with regard to delivery and its cost in each case, you need to clarify. The cost of delivery depends on the distance of the route and on what transport the pet is planned to travel. The breeder always helps in finding a trusted courier.
8. If the kitten has a document (metrics) issued by the club in which the cattery is located, this kitten is a representative of the breed and meets all breed standards.
9. Why is the iPhone expensive? Why is Toyota Land Cruiser expensive? The answer is on the surface.
The same situation is with the cost of pets. Because someone who has invested his daily work, as well as the best conditions of detention, premium feeding, vitamins, care, vaccination, paperwork, etc., has every right to charge the price that he considers reasonable and correct. And if it is not possible to buy a Mercedes, there is always an alternative to buying another car that meets your desires and your capabilities. And it’s not bad / good, it’s your choice. So why is it so expensive? – This question should be asked exclusively to oneself.
10. There is a rule in Argenta Pride cattery: “Kittens leaving for new homes in the status of “pet” leave the cattery always neutered/neutered” – This rule is not discussed, does not depend on your preferences and life positions. This rule is unchanging and does not change under any circumstances.
11. Sale for breeding.
Why not all kittens are sold for breeding. Why don’t offers like this happen often? The first thing I will write is that in the profile of each kitten personally on my website it is indicated in what capacity this pet can be sold (*pet *breed). Second, kittens that have the status of “breed” are expensive. Is always. These kittens do not have defects and meet the breed standards, often as a show class. The better the type of such an animal, the higher its cost. Thirdly, kittens for breeding are sold only to responsible hands and most often existing catteries are a priority, but there are exceptions, according to what criteria the breeder’s preferences for selling a pet to a breed are carried out, this is a personal matter for everyone and the factors influencing this decision are very diverse, starting from territorial to intuition. Fourth, in the cattery there may be unspoken agreements and conditions for the sale of kittens between the breeders themselves, and therefore kittens from certain litters cannot be sold for breeding at all. In conclusion, I would like to write to all of the above, for a true breeder it is important to exclude the possibility of uncontrolled reproduction of his pets and the entire breed in general, so if you plan to buy a kitten for breeding, be prepared that buying a really valuable and interesting animal will not be so easy.
12. This question is asked several times a day and every day. Pedigree cats have a very important feature – they are not factory stamped and are born even within the same breed very different both in type and in color. Therefore, for thoroughbred kittens there is no concept of a single cost. All kittens stand differently, always. In one litter, from the same parents, one kitten will cost 500 USD. other 1200 c.u. And accordingly, when the question is asked: “I want black with big ears, how much will this cost?” it is not possible to answer this question. The concept of big ears is different for everyone, black kittens are also all different. Each nuance matters and all this together affects the final cost of the pet. Therefore, it is possible to discuss the value of an animal only when the applicant for discussion is born and its possible predictable further development is already visible.